Historic Columbia Foundation has an opening for a full-time Head Gardener. Position details are listed below.
The Head Gardener supports the Director of Grounds in the maintenance and development of the gardens. The key responsibilities of this position are:
▪ Daily general maintenance of the garden areas – both plants and hardscape
▪ Oversee Rental Preparation Duties
▪ Equipment Maintenance
▪ Specific focus of work is on preservation & maintenance of historic landscapes.
Core competencies include:
▪ Knowledge: Thorough understanding of care of herbaceous and woody plants, as well as turf grass management. Knowledge and experience in landscape maintenance – particularly with best management practices for sustainable landscaping. Skilled in plant identification. Knowledge and skill in safe handling of different gardening equipment, as well as safe application of integrated pest management practices, chemicals and plant nutritional supplements.
▪ Data Collection: Ability to ensure accurate record keeping of plant care and health. Ability to keep accurate inventories of supplies, materials and equipment.
▪ Coordination: Ability to supervise others, including part-time staff and volunteers, in the maintenance of HCF’s plant collections and hardscapes within the gardens.
Ability to organize work schedule and plans and identify and establish priorities under the direction of the Director of Grounds. Ability to train and monitor
volunteers and part-time staff.
▪ Communication: Ability to use verbal and non-verbal skills when working with others to ensure efficient and safe management of landscapes.
▪ Leadership: Ability to work in a supervisory role.
Minimum training and experience requirements:
▪ High school diploma, or equivalent, and demonstrated possession of the competencies to perform the work.
▪ Possession of a valid driver’s license.
Preference will be given to those applicants with training and experience such as:
▪ Possession of an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in horticulture or related field
▪ Other relevant educational experience, such as completion of a Master Gardener certification program
▪ Previous professional gardening work
The successful candidate should possess interest in and knowledge of plants, and demonstrate an enthusiasm for garden care and development. The Head Gardener will exhibit self-motivation, attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and good organizational skills.
Historic Columbia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
Resumes may be submitted in person, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to: Historic Columbia Foundation, Attn: Debbie Giles, 1601 Richland Street, Columbia, SC 29201. All resumes must be submitted by close of business day Monday, June 18.
About Historic Columbia: As a city leader in heritage tourism, Historic Columbia Foundation provides daily house museum tours, walking tours and guided bus tours of Columbia’s cultural and historical assets. Additionally, the organization hosts annual programs and events such as the Gardening Symposium and the Jubilee Festival of Heritage. As an advocate for the preservation of Columbia’s built history, Historic Columbia Foundation works closely with city and county officials to ensure proper protection is provided to structures with cultural and historical importance.